How to Care For Removable Partial Dentures at Dr Sajan’s Victoria BC Dental Clinic
Our Victoria BC dental clinic has done its best to provide you with well-fitted, functional, and aesthetically pleasing partial dentures. We feel confident that after a few weeks of adjustments, you will enjoy years of satisfaction and use. In the meantime, the following is important information.
- Your First Few Weeks: New dentures will always require a bit of an adjustment period. The dentures themselves will need to be adjusted, but your mouth will also need to get used to having them in. You may require several days, or even a few weeks, to become accustomed to the new dentures.
- Sore Spots: An adjustment appointment will be scheduled approximately seven days after you receive your dentures. Try to keep track of any areas that may feel sore during the week, so that these can be adjusted to ensure that your denture feels comfortable.
- Chewing: The new “bite” or occlusion may not feel comfortable for a few days. We will adjust the biting surface of your teeth if needed, at our adjustment appointment, once the dentures have settled in to place. We suggest starting with a soft food diet (soup, pasta) for the first few days, as you become accustomed to the new teeth.
- Cleaning the Dentures: Your denture should be cleaned daily using a denture toothbrush and denture toothpaste. Do NOT use regular toothpaste, as it can cause small scratches on your denture that will collect debris and bacteria over time. Pay special attention to areas of your denture that are in contact with natural teeth. Bacteria can become caught in these areas and cause cavities on your natural teeth. Make sure you that take your dentures out before bed and store them in a 50% water and 50% mouthwash solution overnight.
- Cleaning Your Mouth: Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride to clean your natural teeth and gums. Make sure that you are brushing and flossing twice a day to ensure that the teeth and the gums that hold in the denture stay strong over time. Make sure that you take your dentures out overnight. This will reduce your chances of developing fungal infections in your mouth by giving your gums a chance to breathe.
- The Future: Your denture will require continuing care. Your gums will shrink over time and this will cause your dentures to fit differently. That is why it is important to have your gums and denture checked by our office every six months, to ensure the dentures receive any adjustments, relines or rebases required to increase longevity of the denture and the health of your mouth.
If you have any questions about your removable partial denture, please don’t hesitate to contact your Victoria BC dentist, Dr Sajan at 250.383.3741 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.